Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

OH AMBER Alert cxld.Chaniya Wynn located deceased.


Yesterday I posted a response to an AMBER Alert from Ohio that was not correct.

Vernacular between agencies led to this posting and for that I apologize.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children uses the word recovered when it is reporting a successful location of a missing child that is not located deceased.

At 3:12AM on Sunday Feb 19 I received the following from the state of OH:

THE CHILD HAS BEEN RECOVERED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

ALL PARTIES HAVE BEEN LOCATED.  NO FURTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.”

At 3:55 P.M. I received the following from NCMEC:

"Chaniya Wynn missing from Cleveland, OH, has been restricted. Please discontinue dissemination of this poster.
Please remove and discard any posters on this case that you have placed in public view.", almost 13 hours after the state agency notification.

This message indicates that for whatever reason, the case has been removed from NCIC and is in  stage of resolution either good or bad. I received it 

It was my interpretation along with one news source that this was indicating the victim had been rescued and was alive. Sadly this was not the case.

I do not follow news feeds to verify reports and have a commitment that I will only follow verified law enforcement sources. In doing such this time I made a serious error in my reporting the first in the years I have reported AMBER Alerts.

The facts are that the victim, the victims’ mother and the suspect were all located deceased, the suspect by his own hand.

I received a message from a colleague at Child Quest International asking me about my posting. I appreciate CQI's bringing this error to my attention and thank them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Productive comments and observations are always welcome.

Popular Posts